Summary of Responsibilities:
The Aviary Assistant will assist the Aviary Assistant Manager in the daily care of the eagles, daily cleaning of the aviary, and educational presentations as needed. The incumbent will perform routine office activities necessary to facilitate the goals and objectives of the Eagle Aviary Program. This position is currently 3 months but, it has the possibility of being a permanent position.
For more information about the Grey Snow Eagle House, visit eagles.iowanation.org. For questions, email Aviary Director, Dr. Megan Judkins at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/IOW1005IOTOK/JobBoard/87c40e73-c419-4426-9634-88aeb5867528/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=5fcbb633-7bfd-4593-a96e-3ae280937f3e
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in cleaning and disinfecting all cages as scheduled.
- Ensure all offices, break areas, and buildings are cleaned and disinfected.
- Participate in training new hires and volunteers to make sure that they know how all tasks are performed and at what quality the work should be at.
- Responsible for the daily observation of raptor health and welfare.
- Report maintenance issues and potential safety hazards to Aviary Supervisor or Aviary Management.
- Attend training and provide Aviary staff a presentation on of information gained in training.
- Assist in preparing food for eagles on a scheduled basis.
- Maintain a detailed log of aviary activities and program files as determined by funding sources.
- Assist in outreach activities including presentations, tours, and brochures for Tribal members and the community.
- Assist with upkeep of the facility as necessary including basic construction and grounds maintenance.
- Ensure education birds are properly cared for and trained if part of education program.
- Participate in aviary committees, releases, fundraisers, etc. when asked or when on possesses skills that would benefit the project.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education and Experience:
- Previous experience working with or handling large raptors.
- Preference given to applicants who have volunteered at least 80 hours at the Iowa Tribe’s Gray Snow Eagle House.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must possess good communication skills when dealing with Tribal members and the community.
- Knowledge of Ioway’s or Native American cultural activities preferred.
- Is required to sit and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Routine exposure to outside weather conditions, bird holding areas where noise level in the work environment may be loud.
- Ability to lift and/or move items of up to fifty pounds.
- Must be able to read, understand, apply and retain knowledge of departmental rules, regulations and policies.
- Knowledge of animal behavior.
- Knowledge of procedures used for the proper care and handling of native birds.
- Knowledge of aviary safety rules and regulations.
- Ability to tolerate stress working with native birds.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions including procedures for care and maintenance of animals, exhibit, service and holding spaces.
- Ability to exhibit patience when caring for animals.
- Ability to exercise judgment concerning assigned work activities.
- Skill in tact and diplomacy when interacting with co-workers, visitors and volunteers.
- Skill in observation in order to recognize and evaluate conditions of animal health, diets and behavior.
- Ability to work long hours when rescues occur or veterinary appointments are necessary.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, and age or disability status in employment. Individuals of Indian ancestry and Veterans will be given preference by law in initial employment or re-employment.
Conditions of Employment:
The Iowa Tribe of Oklahoma operates a drug-free workplace.
- Must submit to and pass applicable drug test.
- Must pass background investigations for suitability of character identified in accordance with the Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act